The Territorial Force War Medal was instituted on 26 April 1920 and was awarded to members of the British Territorial Force and Territorial Force Nursing Services who had served in an operational theatre of war between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918 – the period between the commencement of World War One and the Armistice. The least-issued of the First World War campaign medals, eligibility was restricted to those who had volunteered for overseas service with the territorials, or had completed four years service and rejoined the it on or before 30 September 1914, and those who did not qualify for the 1914 Star or 1914-15 Star.
Cast in bronze, the medal is circular in design and has a 36mm diameter. The obverse of the medal features the effigy of King George V without the royal crown, enclosed by the text ‘GEORGIVS V BRITT : OMN : REX ET IND : IMP :’ On the reverse, the words ‘TERRITORIAL FORCE MEDAL’ are impressed across the upper outer edge of the medal, placed above a laurel wreath that surrounds the legend ‘FOR SERVICE OVERSEAS 1914-19’. The medal, which was engraved with the individuals service details on the outer rim, was suspended from its 32mm wide ribbon, consisting of a yellow base colour with two green stripes, by a straight bar and clasp. Just under 34,000 medals were awarded for service overseas between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918, making it the rarest campaign medal of World War One.